Can I modify a child custody order without going to court?

When the court issues a custody and parenting time order, that order is legally binding. This means that unless a child custody modification is approved by the court, both parties are expected to abide by its stipulations. However, life’s circumstances can change dramatically after a child’s parents go their separate ways and a custody modification may be necessary.

Can you modify a child custody order out of court?

Understanding the basics of custody modification

Child custody rulings are inspired by the doctrine of the best interests of the child. And it is on this basis that any modification must be based. Thus, if either parent’s circumstances change to the point that the best interests of the child are impacted, then the parent in question may either negotiate a modification with their co-parent or request a custody modification from the court.

With respect to out-of-court custody modification – yes, you may modify an existing custody order out of court. However, whatever settlement you arrive at must be approved by the court before it will become enforceable and before you will be permitted to override the terms of the existing order.

Safeguard your interests

Child custody can be a big deal during and after divorce. Learning more about Connecticut family law can help you safeguard your rights and interests if you’re seeking to modify an existing custody order. As modifications can be truly consequential undertakings, it is generally a good idea to seek legal guidance proactively before committing to a particular approach.