Dedicated Advocates For Connecticut Children

Last updated on December 2, 2020

Connecticut courts make custody and visitation decisions on a case-by-case basis. Our family law attorneys at MeehanLaw, LLC, guide parents in Westport and the surrounding areas through custody cases from start to finish, offering tireless advocacy.

Our lawyers capably handle difficult custody challenges, such as those involving one parent who lives in a different state or hopes to relocate. We also advise on grandparent visitation rights and other topics that can become points of contention. When you work with us, we will explain how factors such as the age of your children, parent-child relationships and the stability of each parent’s home can affect a judge’s perception of what is best for your family.

Experienced Lawyers Advising On Your Options

The court will issue your family an order that addresses each parent’s legal and physical custody rights. It may involve:

  • Joint physical custody: The child splits time between two households.
  • Sole physical custody: The child lives primarily with one parent.
  • Joint legal custody: Each parent has an equal say in the important matters affecting their children’s welfare.
  • Sole legal custody: One parent decides the important matters affecting their children’s welfare.

Since 1961, our firm has proudly helped clients protect their rights and their children’s welfare in custody matters during a divorce. We can also advise on court-appointed guardians for children.

Accomplished Mediators Pursuing Solutions

When you and your ex can’t agree on what is best for your child, compromise can feel impossible. Mediation may be a way to find solutions that satisfy both parties. If you cannot reach an agreement through this alternate dispute resolution method, your case will go to the family court. We can represent you in both mediations and in court.

Helping Clients Petition For Custody Modifications And Enforcement

Over time, a family may outgrow a parenting plan that once worked well. When a parent moves or remarries, a child’s educational or medical needs shift, or another substantial change occurs, it may be time to restructure a parenting plan or child support agreement. Our firm assists with petitions for modifications of financial support and custody.

It’s important for parents to realize that if they disobey a court order, they can face serious legal consequences. If your child’s other parent refuses to go along with the court-approved parenting plan, our lawyers can seek to initiate enforcement actions.

Contact A Compassionate Lawyer To Schedule An Initial Consultation

At MeehanLaw, LLC, in Westport, we help families achieve custody and visitation arrangements to support the best interests of their children. To schedule an initial consultation, call us at 203-989-2949 or contact us online.