Search Site
Frequently Asked Questions

Q:How do I know whether to accept a plea agreement or go to trial?

It is important that you speak with an experienced criminal defense lawyer before you accept a plea agreement. Richard Meehan can review the circumstances of your case, identify the strongest legal arguments and inform you whether the plea agreement is in your best interest. Whether or not you should take a deal depends on the strength of your defense, the likelihood of a conviction and the possible penalty you will face if convicted.

Q:What is the difference between probation and parole?

Probation is a criminal sentence that does not actually require you to serve time. A judge may order you to probation instead of sending you to jail. You will have to comply with certain probation conditions, such as making regular appointments with your probation officer, abstaining from drugs or alcohol, and not committing any additional crimes while on probation. Parole is the early supervised release of a person who has already served time in jail. He or she carries out the rest of the sentence on parole.

Q:What is “diversion” in my drug case?

Connecticut offers a diversion program, the Drug Education Program requiring drug counseling sessions and community service set by the Court. This program offers an alternative to a criminal record. If you successfully complete the program and any required community service or probation ordered as part of the program, the charges against you will be dismissed.

Q:What is the difference between vehicular homicide and vehicular manslaughter?

Vehicle manslaughter is committed when a person operates a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs and causes the death of someone due to this impairment. Negligent homicide with a motor vehicle is a separate criminal offense that occurs when a person causes the death of another while operating a vehicle in a negligent fashion. The penalties for vehicular manslaughter are more severe than those for negligent homicide are.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Offices
  • Bridgeport Office
    76 Lyon Terrace
    Bridgeport, Connecticut 06604
    Phone: 203-333-1888
    Fax: 203-331-0107
  • Westport Office
    29 East Main Street
    Westport, Connecticut 06880
    Phone: 203-635-4688