Standing Up For The Best Interests Of Children

In some particularly complex custody battles, the state will appoint a guardian ad litem for the children. This court representative is a neutral party who advocates for the best interests of the children.

We at MeehanLaw, LLC, help Connecticut clients going through child custody disputes involving guardians ad litem. One of our attorneys, Michael Meehan, also serves as a guardian ad litem in custody cases throughout the state. With a combination of knowledge and compassion, we will advocate for the best interests of you and your children.

What To Know About Guardians Ad Litem

Child custody and visitation are easily the most contested areas of family law. In custody disputes that are particularly complex or acrimonious, a judge may feel that a guardian ad litem is necessary to advocate for the child’s best interests. Judges also frequently appoint guardians ad litem in cases where a parent has demonstrated abuse, addiction or severe mental illness. The guardian will speak to the children, assess the family’s situation and provide the court with their objective viewpoint regarding custody and parenting time.

Experience Serving As And Working With Court-Appointed Guardians

If the court has appointed a guardian for your children, you may feel frightened at the prospect of a complete stranger shaping your kids’ futures. Having helped numerous families through this frightening process, we understand firsthand what you are experiencing. We know how to communicate your wishes to the guardian ad litem, so they hear and understand your viewpoint. Our lawyers also work to protect your children from the strain of a custody dispute involving a court-appointed guardian.

Talk To Us About Advocating For Your Children

At MeehanLaw, LLC, we are ready to guide you through your custody and visitation case as we preserve your children’s best interests. Schedule an initial consultation at one of our offices to speak with our team. To reach us, send an email, or call our Bridgeport office at 203-989-2949 or our Westport office at 203-664-8059.