How should my co-parent and I sort out summer vacation plans?

Connecticut schools will be going on summer break in a few weeks. While it’s best to make vacation plans as far in advance as possible, you may still have some time to make the necessary arrangements depending on what type of travel you have in mind.

One downside to no longer being married and having children is that you generally can’t pick up and go on a vacation to wherever you want and whenever you like. You must instead abide by your parenting plan when doing so.

Details to look for in your parenting plan when you’re planning a vacation

Your parenting plan should spell out any requirements for notifying your ex or the court of travel plans. That same court order should spell out whether any restrictions apply to how far you can travel with your child and how much advance notice you must give your ex of your trip. You may need to request a modification of that court order if you want to do anything outside of that agreement.

Start discussing your plans with your ex early

You should give your ex as much notice about your plans as possible and definitely before you finalize anything. Doing so will allow you to determine whether you’re going to move forward with what you have in mind. Your ex may not be as receptive to your plans if you give them short notice.

Draft a vacation schedule

It may be wise to have your attorney draft a vacation schedule that outlines how you and your co-parent intend to modify any existing court order to accommodate your impending vacation. Having this in writing and signed off on by the judge will minimize your ex’s chances of claiming that you violated an existing court order.

You shouldn’t deviate from your travel plans once you and your ex agree to them. Doing so might be inflammatory to your ex and result in costly litigation.

Some moms and dads may not like the prospect of not being near their children or be jealous of their child having fun with their other parent. These reasons may lead your ex to not consent to your travel plans. Your attorney can advise you of your rights in such instances.