An emergency custody order can protect your children in a divorce

No matter whether you’re preparing to file for divorce or waiting on a judge to sign off on your decree, sharing custody with your ex isn’t always easy. In fact, it could be downright dangerous. 

Maybe they have previously been physically abusive toward you, and now you have reason to think they have turned their rage for the children. Perhaps your spouse has always been a devoted parent, but they have a new relationship with someone threatening the kids. 

You don’t have to put your children into a situation you know will lead to harm. Connecticut allows concerned parents to seek an ex parte emergency custody order.

The courts can help you protect your children

Judges want to do what is best for the children, which typically means they want to support shared custody arrangements. You must convince a family law judge that you need to immediately stop your ex from having parenting time with the children or from bringing them into a certain environment to warrant them signing off on your ex-parte order.

For that, you will need documentation. Your own words likely won’t be enough to convince a judge to act. Text messages from your ex threatening you or the kids, police records that show your ex’s new boyfriend has been in jail for child abuse before or medical reports showing that your children suffered injuries the last time they went with your ex could all help. 

Seeking an emergency order shouldn’t be the only step you take, but it is an important one. Physical abuse can escalate, especially if the perpetrator believes that they have lost control. 

Don’t wait for the situation to escalate out of control. It may cause your children to suffer irreparable harm if you do. Consider asking the courts to protect them now through an ex parte custody order.